A collection of links relevant to WMQ security. A few of these are duplicated elsewhere on the site but are collected here in one spot for convenience.
- The latest version of the OAM templates from the WMQ Security Heats Up article.
- See also presentations and articles on the Links page.
- Do you have to specify the userid in the SSL certificate label for a client? – It depends.
- Java Security Guides – Security material for IBM’s Java SDKs, including the iKeyman user guide.
- Using WebSphere MQ Explorer as a read-only viewer – Blog entry at a Hursley view on WebSphere MQ
- MQ Jumping video – Video replay of Martyn Ryuks presentation at Defcon 15.
- MWR Infosecurity WMQ project page – All WMQ assets from MWRInfosecurity can be found from this landing page, including the Defcon 15 presentation and the Python tools.
- Misconfiguration issues could have contributed to Hannaford breach – Article alleges that the breach at Hannaford was due to incorrect configuration of WMQ. Although never confirmed, it does present a case for securing MQ.
- SSL configuration of the Websphere MQ Java/JMS client – developerWorks article by Alex Fehners from 2005.
- Enhancing WebSphere MQ JMS security using the Object Authority Manager – developerWorks article from 2005. Ben Ritchie shows how to extend the OAM.
WMQ Security on z/OS
Tom Schneider has written several articles on WMQ security on the z/OS platform. I’ve linked these here and will index any additional content on this topic here as well.
- WebSphere MQ for z/OS security – This article examines WebSphere MQ security on z/OS, with particular attention to controlling administrative access, and using RACF classes effectively for MQ security.
- Comparing WebSphere MQ security on distributed platforms and z/OS – While the same WebSphere MQ objects — queues, channels, and so on — are protected on all platforms, what can be protected and how it is secured differ greatly between distributed and z/OS.
- Getting started with WebSphere MQ for z/OS security – This introduction to WebSphere MQ for z/OS security will be helpful for those who are familiar with z/OS but not with WebSphere MQ, and for those who are familiar with WebSphere MQ and would like to understand how to secure it on z/OS.
One of the best features of WebSphere MQ is the thriving user community!
- Vienna MQSeries email list server – Email based community of MQSeries professionals. My home away from home.
- MQSeries.net – Discussion forums focusing on IBM’s Websphere MQ family of products.
- IBMer’s Blog on Messaging – A blog by the developers of the various IBM messaging products.
- a Hursley view on WebSphere MQ – Archive of the Hursley Labs’ WMQ blog. New posts are in the IBMer’s Blog on Messaging (see above).
- developerWorks WebSphere MQ forum – The official IBM-hosted forum for WebSphere MQ.
Reference and Education
Where to find product manuals, formal training and other educational resources.
- WebSphere MQ Product Overview
- Product ManualsNote: The downloadable mauals and the online Infocenter have recently been moved to separate pages.
- WebSphere MQ formal training – If travel is a problem, check out the many new distance learning options.
- IBM IMPACT SOA conference – The next one is April 11 – 15, 2011 in Las Vegas.
- WebSphere Professional Certification
- WebSphere MQ certification prep series –
This series of five tutorials can help you get ready for the IBM certification tests.
- IBM Software Support: Support Lifecycle – Product service dates
- Maintenance Strategy – What is the difference between a Fix Pack and a CSD?
Global Security Kit (GSKit)
- Download site for GSKit updates
- GSKit v7 iKeyman User’s Guide – From JDK 1.4.2 and the one you usually want.
- GSKit V8 iKeyman User’s Guide – GSKit V8 comes with WMQ V7 Fix Packs
- GSKCapiCmd V7 User’s Guide – For scripting cert management with GSK7
- GSKCapiCmd V8 User’s Guide – For scripting cert management with GSK8
- If you’d like to submit a product requirement, fill out this form and submit it to the address in the instructions.
- Configuring and tuning WebSphere MQ for performance on Windows and UNIX – This article shows you how to optimize message processing performance for a WebSphere MQ queue manager running on Windows, UNIX, or Linux.
- Important V6. Upgrade information – a list of WebSphere MQ V6.0 Installation / Upgrade related technotes and publications.
- WMQ V6 file permissions – Concerned about setuid permissions on WMQ files?
- IBM Support Assistant and Electronic Service Agent – The IBM Support Assistant (ISA) is a free local software serviceability workbench that helps you resolve questions and problems with IBM software products.
- Message persistance FAQ
- MustGather – These documents aid in problem determination and save time resolving WebSphere® MQ Problem Management Records (PMRs).
- MustGather: Read first for WebSphere MQ
- MustGather: for Remote Administration problems
- MustGather: for an MQ security problem on HP OpenVMS
- MustGather: for an MQ security problem on HP NSS
- MustGather: for an MQ security problem on OS/400
- MustGather: for an MQ security problem on UNIX
- MustGather: for an MQ security problem on Windows
- MustGather: for an MQ security problem on z/OS
- Performing health checks for WebSphere Message Broker and WebSphere MQ – This article shows you how to how to perform a health check on WebSphere Message Broker and WebSphere MQ.
- Recommended Fixes – Lnks to the latest available maintenance for WebSphere MQ.
- Support – Help, downloads, fixes, hints and tips, FAQs, problem determination, flashes, technical support, error resolution, problem reporting, and assistance with problems.
Processor Value Unit [PVU] Licensing
- PVU Announcement Letters – PVU replaces per-processor licensing in order to accout for the proliferation of multi-core technologies.
- Processor Value Unit licensing for Distributed SW
- Processor Value Unit Licensing FAQ
- PVU Calculator
- Passport Advantage Sub-Capacity Licensing – General Sub-capacity announcement for Passport Advantage customers.
- Tracking and reporting sub-capacity licenses – As of November 2007, IBM suspended the requirement for Tivoli License Manager and quarterly reporting.
- WebSphere MQ SupportPacs by Product
- MQSeries Perl Module – Version 1.32 is latest as of this posting
- WebSphere MQ Workflow – Product Overview
- IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE for WebSphere Business Integration – Resource analysis for WebSphere MQ, message broker and interchange server